What is ratatouille?
The recipe of vegertable healthy eating. How to cook Ratatouille by Michelle Gerar (french cuisine)? Let’s see what is it and the step by step recipe for your best results.
Ratatouille (fr. Ratatouille) – is a vegetable stew coming from of Provence, especially characteristic for culinary traditions of Nice.
Originating primarily in the area of modern Nice, ratatouille was rather the dish of poor peasants who cooked it in summer of fresh vegetables. The original recipe consisted of zucchini, tomatoes, peppers, onions and garlic. To the modern version of this dish eggplant are also added. Nice ratatouille is cooked from onions, zucchini, eggplant, peppers and tomatoes – this dish is baked in oven on a low heat with some herbs. Ratatouille is one of the most popular healthy eating recipes ever.
To cook it you`ll need:
Sweet pepper – 6
Garlic – 8 cloves
Onions – 2
eggplant – 4
zucchini – 2
Tomatoes – 6
Parsley – beam
thyme – 1 tbsp
olive oil – 100 ml
bay leaves – 2
vinegar – 2 tbsp
1. Chop onions. Remove seeds from peppers, cut them into cubes.
2. Fry the onions until soft in the olive oil, add the chopped garlic, and as soon as the garlic will smell, throw 2 finely chopped tomatoes in the frying pan, delivered from the skin and seeds, and pepper. You need to add a little fresh or dried thyme to tomatoes, a couple of bay leaves, salt and reduce the heat.
3. Cut eggplant, tomatoes and zucchini into thin slices. When the tomatoes and peppers soften, the sauce is ready. Put the part of the sauce on the bottom of the pan. Then put tomato slices, alternating with slices of eggplant and zucchini. The number of layers can be variable.
4. Place the baking sheet in the oven, preheated to 200 degrees, and bake until the top layer of the vegetables will not get a golden color.
5. Before the final, chop parsley, add the olive oil, salt and pepper, add 2-3 cloves of minced garlic and vinegar. Mix and spread evenly over the surface of the finished ratatouille.
What is ratatouille many people learned only after the screens went eponymous cartoon “Ratatouille”. That cartoon was shown the original recipe of the dish and its traditional serving. Very tasty Provencal dish is something similar to a vegetable stew. In other countries you can find the same or similar dish, but it has a different name. For example, in Italian cooking this dish called kaponata in Spanish – fast and in Hungarian – lecho. Even if all these dishes are prepared with the same ingredients, they have a noticeable taste difference. Important role in the preparation of vegetable varieties have used herbs and spices, as well as technology for creating meals. Each nation uses its own secrets to prepare this or that dish, is definitely worth to try each of them.
History of ratatouille
For the first time ratatouille began to prepare in Nice, it was a poor peasant dish, they prepared it during the whole summer, the season of fresh vegetables. Firstly, the original recipe of ratatouille consisted of ingredients such as pepper, onion, garlic, tomatoes, squash and fragrant Provencal herbs. Today this dish add the eggplant, and many other vegetables as desired. Originally meaning “Ratatouille” was not very pleasant, the word signified extremely unappetizing concoction species. Nice today ratatouille made from onions, zucchini, eggplant, peppers and tomatoes – all cooked on low heat in olive oil with herbs. Purists insist that a variety of vegetables must prepare separately and then be mixed and brought to the final stage, creating a nourishing texture.
For the first time the word “ratatouille” is mentioned in the books in 1778 and means steamed vegetables. Part of the word “Rata” – is a military slang and refers to a mixture of stewed beans, potatoes and vegetables with fatty meat. We can assume that ratatouille rather come to us from the military canteen – a simple dish, which is quick and easy to prepare.